Saturday, January 23, 2010

Purty Birdie

Close ups

Oil on 7x5 hardboard.

This is my submission for this week's WDE at Wet Canvas. The photo was graciously supplied by Valri.

My main objective here was just to not over mix the paint so when applied it would show fresh colors intermingling. And as the landscape painter may apply paint following the lay of the land, the "birdscape" painter must apply paint to follow the lay of the feathers.

Available
To view or have the chance to place a bid, please click here.

See my art on eBay

My Etsy

Proverbs 1:32 For the waywardness of the simple will kill them,and the complacency of fools will destroy them;33 but whoever listens to me will live in safety
and be at ease, without fear of harm."

11 comments:

  1. I love this one.
    He got the look of Mr knows it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This bird really caught my eye...I love how he stands out against the dark red background!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just realised that when said in American the title rhymes!! Love the bird Dean!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Purty birdie Dean. I'm about to do a painting that includes a lamb and was wondering on how to render it realistically. After seeing your bird, I think that's the way I need to do my little lamb. Thanks much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dean, this is fabulous, truly. I find myself wanting to pet behind the head at those ruffled feathers (which I know they love!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work, Dean. I love how those cleanly applied brushstrokes that look so much like feathers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely, Dean. I am sure you had to practice a lot of control here in order to put down only that which was essential!

    ReplyDelete
  8. your sidebar says that you like to paint all subjects! I do believe if there was a prize for most variety in subject matter Deano should win it! Beautiful bird..I can feel the feathers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow........ you are the king of the birds. You have a wonderful feel for them. Your feathers are so good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful job, Dean. I love the way you handled the soft shading on the feathers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails