Monday, January 25, 2010

Portrait

Close ups

Oil on 7x5 hardboard.
This is my second submission to WDE at Wet Canvas. It's a portrait of the hostess of this week's event, Valri. I like the sultry pose she struck.
Though it may not show up well, I used Super Heavy Gesso by Liquitex. It's the first time I've used it and I really like it's possibilities. It gives great impasto texture.

Available

See my art on eBay

My Etsy

Proverbs 20:6 Many a man claims to have unfailing love, but a faithful man who can find?

13 comments:

  1. I like what you did with the texture. Isn't it fun?! Your limited color palette and gestural strokes are right up my alley. Great job!
    -Don

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Don...This heavy gesso will bring on the texture...A lot of experimenting to do. Yes!! It's fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Dominique...appreciate the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful portrait, Dean! I like the warm skin tones, the texture and the way you've let her hair become one with the background.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How did you use the super heavy gesso Dean? I love the effect it has on this awesome painting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a beautiful portrait, Dean. I think someone said previously that your wide variety of subjects is wonderful and I so have to agree. There is nothing you can't do! I love how you've captured her curly hair and that expression is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great portrait and I love the texture. Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dean...love what you've done with this portrait. Love the hair.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job Dean, I like the pose too. Nice to see the enlarged pic and see your brushstrokes)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning brushwork on a superb portrait Dean. Great colours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great work, Dean, very dramatic pose and equally fascinating artwork.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails