Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Eye Opener

Close ups

Acrylic on 7x5 hardboard.

This is my contribution to this week's DPW's Paint Your Mug Challenge . The challenge was issued by the very accomplished artist, Karla Uphoff .
Karla said: Paint the favorite cup or mug you reach for when you want something hot to drink. I think what we drink out of tells a lot about our personalities.

Black coffee in my black cup is my eye opener. My constant studio companion.

This is acrylics applied in many thin layers, like a watercolor. I did a lot of negative painting around the brushes. It didn't come off as I envisioned it, but hey, I'm still investigating this technique.

Available ... If interested, contact me at kkayangel2(at)yahoo.com

My Etsy

James 3:17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.

6 comments:

  1. I'm just musing on you drinking coffee amidst your paintbrushes. That is a true artist! Although I admit, I am in the studio room with mine too, though I'm in front of the computer! Some Deano insight! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Dean, had to delete my previous comment...typo!
    I like this challenge...I would have painted my brown cup from the Smithsonian! I will have to check on all the interesting cups. I like how you composed this painting...it seems right your cup would be black...a serious "stealth bomber" of cups

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great painting, Dean. That probably looks like most of us in our painting room.!! Great colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a lot of warmth in this piece Dean. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it better with part of the cup visible as in the last picture. The background work is very beautiful and has made the subject.. the simple cup look exotic!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails