Saturday, October 09, 2010

Wonderment

Close ups

Oil on 5x7 board.

This was painted for WDE at Wet Canvas. The reference photo was supplied by Bonnie.

My aim was for this one to be super loose. Even though it's pretty loose, I didn't quite achieve what I had in mind...not quite loose enough.

Available
Contact me at kkayangel2(at)yahoo.com if interested.

See my art on eBay

My Etsy

Mark 10:14 He said to them, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The image below shows the drawing I did on the board. I reinforced major lines with colored ink from red and sienna Pigma Brushes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Below is my prepared board.
I squeezed a small amount of gesso, then a few drops of black gesso. I brushed them around loosely to achieve a grayed marbled effect...approximately mid value. This I dried using a hair dryer.

Next I squeezed a couple of small spots of acrylic yellow ochre. I spritzed it with water and brushed the transparent wash over the board. Next added a touch of acrylic burnt sienna to add variety in a few areas. Once again I dried it with a hair dryer.

I love working on surfaces prepared in this way.
Any spots left showing in the finished painting helps to add harmony and energy. Plus by starting from a mid value, the correct values are easier to achieve. It's an inspiring surface to work upon!

7 comments:

  1. thanks for the information. I really wish I could see you doing the process, I'm such a visual learner. I'll try to figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you showed the steps. I, too, like pre-toned canvases.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of movement and vitality in this portrait--nicely done. I also enjoyed reading about your process; thank you for taking time to show it. Your prepared board is so lively and yummy, I would have been tempted to stop right there :>). Glad to have found your blog (via your comment on "Art with Liz".)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am right with you when you say you want to be looser Dean, I am also doing portrraits of late, and loose, is my aim.
    Love this one though, it shows the energy of the little boy.
    Rae

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful painting..full of energy and movement- just like a child is!Thanks for sharing, Dean.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails