Saturday, October 21, 2006

Butterfly ( Demo)





I was asked to show my painting method. Ok, here it goes.... I first tone the support with diluted acrylic. I usually tone in a complementary color to what the subject will be.

After I do the drawing on paper, I transfer it to the support with Saral Transfer Paper. This leaves a white line and for me, breaks the subject into many shapes. I'll wind up matching the color of shapes one by one and not be distracted by what my specific subject is. I love painting like this.

In this case I started with the darks...Ultra. Blue + Alizarin Crimson. Darks were thinned with paint thinner. Next I applied paint directly from the tube. The colors used were White, Yel. Ochre. Ultra. Blue, Cad. Yel. Med., Aliz. Crim., and a small dash of Diox. Purp. I tried to match the color of each panel of the wings. They reminded me of a stained glass window.

That's all I have time for now. Stop in tomorrow when (hopefully) I'll have it done.

Take care, Dean

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails