Saturday, February 06, 2010

Northern Flicker

Close ups

Mixed media on a 7x5 hardboard.

I used thin acrylic washes of ultr. blue, burnt sienna, and sap green--Tombow brush pen--Pitt Pen--and a touch of colored pencil.

I tried to play the realism of the bird against an abstract background. I liked how the acrylic washes flowed and beaded up to make interesting formations. The action of the thin acrylic upon the smooth gessoed hardboard was what really held my interest.

I just love painting birds. I had fun with it.

This is my submission to the WDE at Wet Canvas. The image was graciously supplied by Jeanette.

Available
This painting has been placed on Etsy. Click here to view or purchase.

See my art on eBay

My Etsy

Proverbs 30:5 "Every word of God is flawless;
he is a shield to those who take refuge in him."


20 comments:

  1. This is very beautiful Dean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the BIRD Dean!!...LOVE THE TECHNIQUE!! FUN isn't it!! Made me smile this beautiful Saturday a.m.!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, Dean. Thank you for sharing your technique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's no question from this that you love painting birds! Beautiful work Dean.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure I commented yet, Dean but this is such a cute painting. I think that intricate and rich background is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can tell you had fun with this Dean. It just dances with light and color. More bird paintings are in order I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great piece..... I just love those dots on his chest and how they fade below.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicely done, Dean. I, too, am intrigued at how the thinned paint responded to the surface. Very cool! -Don

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderfully done, Dean. Will make sure to stop in and see the finished painting. I have enjoyed watching the antics of all of the little birds that came to my feeders today during our snow storm. The little juncos actually tunneled down through the snow for seeds!

    ReplyDelete
  10. As always, really great job w/ the "grays" in the feathers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job on this little guy Dean.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Its sooooooo cute! I just love birds. The little heart shaped black spot is adding to its beauty. He is looking so innocent. Well painted, Deano!:)

    Color Pencil Drawing: Bunch of Roses

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a sweet little bird!! It's a very good work. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful job, Dean. I love all of the textures you achieved.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely painting Dean! It makes me think of springtime, in the midst of the Snowmageddon we are experiencing here in VA this week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice Dean, the bird looks great and I really like how you suggested the background.

    ReplyDelete
  17. it just seems as if there is nothing that you can not paint! This Flicker is superb!

    ReplyDelete
  18. you have a really good works congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really love the effects here. Very interesting that the tombow and pencils would take over the acrylic. Really successful piece!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very Lovely! Northern Flickers are striking birds and seem to know it, you've captured that attitude well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails