Sunday, July 21, 2013

The Shadow-Angus Cow Portrait

 Close ups

 Oil on 5x7 canvas panel.

This is my contribution to this week's WDE at Wet Canvas. Lin supplied all the reference photos.

I wasn't too sure about painting such a dark character as the Angus but, thought it'll be a good challenge. The shadow of the ear across the shoulder really was what caught my interest.

This is oil on an acrylic toned canvas panel. First I covered the gessoed panel with a thinned alizarin crimson. Then I painted in the dark shadowy areas with black gesso. Below is what the start looked like. I like starting from a mid value and working my way up and down .

C&C welcome. Thanks for checking me out and commenting! :)

Unavailable ... If interested, contact me at kkayangel2(at)yahoo.com

My Etsy

Psalm 4:2      "How long will you people turn my glory into shame? How long will you love delusions and seek false gods ?"

11 comments:

  1. excellent...! very fun to learn about your process too. He is a fine looking animal--you did an awesome job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Celeste!
      Your boat painting looks great!

      Delete
  2. Perfect under painting for this piece....I like the dark shadows on this cow...VERY well done, Dean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hilda! The red tone is my favorite for my panels. Because it's a great mid value!

      Delete
  3. I really like the red under-painting. it makes the cool color vibrate. My fav parts are the ear sticking out and the nostrils...though i would hate to have to blow a nose that size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie!
      Lol! The price of the Kleenex's would break the bank!

      Delete
  4. What a wonderfully painted piece, Dean! Love the shadow myself and the bits of alizarin and blue that add highlights!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, Sherry! Glad you liked those colorful highlights.
      Love your portrait of Michael today!! Bravo!

      Delete
  5. Such a nice cow. Love those purples.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the red underpainting just lights up these blacks and violets beautifully- so vibrant!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails