Saturday, July 27, 2013

All Business-Captain Portrait

 Close ups

Oil on 7x5 canvas panel.

This is my contribution to this week's WDE at Wet Canvas. Li supplied a bunch of great reference photos.

Capt. Jim runs the tours on the original boat used in the film the African Queen, which has been lovingly restored in Key Largo, Fla. Here's the modern African Queen Captain setting off on another voyage. Loved the movie...it's one of my all time faves. Just the thought of those leaches on Bogey still make me squirm!!

This was done with a painting knife. I really enjoy the results of a knife painting. Strange.. I always have to push myself to get started on a knife piece.....probably because I'm so unsure of controlling a knife until I actually get into using one.

C&C welcome. Thanks for looking and commenting!  

Available ... If interested, contact me at kkayangel2(at)yahoo.com

My Etsy


1 Corinthians 2:5      That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

8 comments:

  1. Excellent portrait, Dean!! love the color and light!! Perfect pose ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hilda!
      I really enjoyed your perfect portrait of the little girl on your blog today.

      Delete
  2. well, you certainly know what to do with a palette knife! This is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Celeste...Thanks a lot!
      I have fun trying to keep up with you at your blog! You lead a very active art life! :)

      Delete
  3. I have to agree, Dean. I love that movie too. I haven't seen it in years. Glad this man has restored the boat and hopefully loves what he does! He looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That movie had the right combination of ingredients!
      Thanks for commenting, Sherry!

      Delete
  4. I can imagine what you could do with a palette knife if you used it regularly - lots of great stuff going on in this painting. The shadow on his shirt and color used in his glasses, blow me away. Really fine work Dean.
    Love that movie because Bogart and Hepburn became real heroes of mine after it..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there Dean!... your "choice of weapons" change sure suits your swarthy... "diamond-in-the-rough" sea dog subject!

    Sometimes... electing to work out of one's comfort zone leads to an enriching experience and the opportunity to learn more about one's (un)limits! HA HA!!

    A little gem!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails