Saturday, November 14, 2009

Shop Till Ya Drop

Close ups

Oil on 5x7 hardboard.

This is my submission to the Weekend Drawing Event at Wet Canvas. The reference photo was provided by the gracious hostess, Maureen. These shoppers are actually in Oxford England, but they could be from Anywheresville, USA.

I had to fight off a little trepidation to finally pick the Oxford shoppers. But, as it turned out, I'm glad I pushed myself and did this one. It was a lot of fun. I must give some credit to Karin Jurick and her DSFDF for nudging me into doing more figuratives.

I first used black gesso with a touch of pthalo blue thrown in to make it darker.

Available
This painting has been placed on Etsy. Click here to view or purchase.

See my art on eBay

My Etsy

Psalm 86:5 You are forgiving and good, O Lord, abounding in love to all who call to you.

21 comments:

  1. geez, Dean you get so much information on a 5x7! (I know I have written that before--but, I guess I just can't get over it!..lol!)
    It is another excellent painting--a slice of Oxford life--though, you are right, this could be Portland! Everyone shops..(but not everyone can paint an entire mall onto a 5x7! lol! YOU CAN)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic job, my friend - WOW! You have just the right amount of detail to suggest facial features - especially with the woman to the right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a WOW painting Dean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a big fan Dean, but this might be my favorite of all of your work...great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know I love your style.... it works so well in landscapes, animals, birds and people... uh...okay, everything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Dean! I can feel the energy in this piece so well! In fact, it makes me feel rather slothful as I sit here with my coffee. Much like I have things to do and places to go!! You've done this beautifully! I hope you will indeed do more figure paintings. They are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes I like this, I feel the energy of the shoppers. Bravo

    ReplyDelete
  8. So nice Dean. Just the right amount of information. My eye goes to the gal on the right as you intended I would imagine. You sure can paint amazing things on those small canvases.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done, Dean! I really enjoyed viewing this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hard to believe its a 5x7! Very nice figurative indeed.Great colors and light.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is different Dean, youve done a fantastic job

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great work, Dean. I love the movement in the work, as if everyone is in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very believable figures in motion. Really well done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Muy buenos trabajos, son increibles!

    ReplyDelete
  15. hello, I've given you the creative blogger award, please stop by my blog and pick up your award!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is awesome Dean. Love the way you just suggested the figures in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Enjoying your new work, especially this one..perfect composition I'd say!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I knew this was a DSDF even without knowing. It's great!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails