Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Swan Against Red


Oil on5x7 archival canvas panel.

For some reason, I really enjoy painting swans. The canvas panel was first primed with black and white gesso which creates a marbled gray. Then, I toned it lightly with acrylic alizarin crimson and a touch of cad red light. This is what I use for most of my work.
Next, the oils were applied rather thickly...one stroke...reload. This allows for a textured , painterly appearance, which is what I admire when viewing anyone's artwork.
I could have continued painting, filling in the entire canvas with water, sky, or whatever. But my eye liked how the swan sat against the red acrylic background. So I said, "that's it" and signed it.
Hope you enjoy it.
Unavailable
  • Email me! to chat.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts with Thumbnails