Thursday, November 08, 2012

Cutting Horse-Rodeo

 Close ups

Acrylic on 12x9 gessoed art board.

Something a little different for a change.
I didn't gesso the support as I normally do, so the surface was very smooth. I started it with colorful random washes...watching how they swirled and puddled on the slick surface. I applied thicker acrylics in some select areas. I like the expressionist color and paint movement.
I also used a black Faber-Castell Pitt artist pen.
This technique was very freeing and I enjoyed it!

This was painted for a lady in Texas. That's her on her cutting horse.

Unavailable

My Etsy

 Psalm 39:7    "But now, Lord, what do I look for? My hope is in you."

10 comments:

  1. Hi Dean!...An active... believable cunning and colourful composition... replicating the interaction between horse and rider in this rodeo ballet to make the cut!

    A gem!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comments are always a pleasure...just like your paintings, Bruce!

      Delete
  2. I love the style...beautiful colors and it just all works perfectly....excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Celeste! I really enjoyed this technique!

      Delete
  3. I think this is fabulous, Dean. I'm amazed at the luminosity of the acrylics, something I do not normally see with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is great Dean. You have become very versatile in you mixed media. I love it.

    I am trying to get myself going again with the daily painting but am still too distracted with my show and things.

    Happy painting!

    Steinunn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this one! The color, the bold stokes, the subject!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love this piece Dean. It has energy. I think you've come up with a dynamic background which gives the energy to the overall piece. Wish I could get into the daily painting scene, but too much other going on. Great job here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this is great for the motion and color! Yes, the energy and lean-in of the horse and rider combine into a wonderful statement here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great action painting- love the brush and pen work.
    I wrote a previous comment and it just disappeard but if you get two comments you know why.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails