Monday, April 29, 2013

Seeing Red-Bull

 Close ups



Oil on 7x5 gessoed hardboard.

This is my contribution to this week's WDE at Wet Canvas. The very Valri was the gracious hostess who supplied all the great reference photos

 I decided to do the bull and make him a little more menacing than he appears in the photo. It's always fun to try and paint the temperament of a subject.

This is oil on a 7x5 hardboard. After sketching the bull with a Sharpie, I toned the panel with thinned Alizarin Crimson acrylic.
The high value colors were applied with both a painting knife and loaded brush.

C&C welcome. Thanks for commenting!


 Available ... If interested, contact me at kkayangel2(at)yahoo.com

My Etsy



John 12:46      I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness.

12 comments:

  1. Je ne voudrais pas me retrouver face à lui !... Il me rappelle ceux que l'on peut trouver dans le département de l'Ain, une région où l'on trouve ce type de taureau, différent de ceux de la Camargue.
    Une très belle capture et j'aime les belles nuances marquées des ombres et des lumières qui souligne davantage sa force.
    Un très joli travail.
    Gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martine wrote: "I would not find myself in front of him! ... It reminds me of those that can be found in the department of Ain, a region where there is this type of bull, different from those of the Camargue.
      A very nice capture and I love the beautiful shades marked shadows and lights that further underscores its strength.
      A very nice work.
      Kisses"

      Thank you, Martine! I also wouldn't want to be in the vicinity of this guy in an open field!!

      Delete
  2. yes, it comes across that this animal "means business"! Well done (as always)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Celeste!
      Thank you. I'm glad that came across in the painting. :)

      Delete
  3. Wonderful texture, Dean!! Excellent color and light!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hilda! That's the thing about creating much of the painting as you go along....I'm glad you think I "got there".

      Delete
  4. I love your use of color, your art always 'pops out'!Great work on shadows...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comment, Arti.
      I really love the loose watercolor style on your elephant painting!

      Delete
  5. He is so beautifully limned with light, Dean! And he looks so soft and sweet (is that a possibility with bulls?) too. The background definitely feels like this guy is in the southwest or in Mexico (the heat).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this painting, Sherry! Very much appreciated!

      Delete
  6. This guy is great, he does look a bit menacing. The background works perfect too. Great job Dean.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails