Saturday, July 12, 2014

Raven

 Close ups

Oil on 7x5 canvas panel.

This is my contribution to this week's WDE at Wet Canvas. EP was the gracious host this week who provided a bunch of colorful photos!
Ravens are super smart birds and are truly impressive looking! In my younger days, I had a pet crow named Crawford. Crows and ravens are very similar.

I really wanted to paint this over a ground of black gesso. It really worked out well on some ravens I painted a few years ago. But today I didn't have time to apply gesso and have it dry completely. So I did it against a ground of thinned red acrylic....just didn't have the same feel.

C&C welcome. Thanks for looking and commenting!   

Luke 12:24 Consider the ravens: for they neither sow nor reap; which neither have storehouse nor barn; and God feedeth them: how much more are ye better than the fowls?

3 comments:

  1. What a handsome fellow this guy is with his tuxedo like tails and dapper air!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember your earlier Ravens --- this guy measures up. And he looks smart alright! He may want to steal my jewelry. haha. Seriously, he is awesome. I love the blue against that background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully painted, Dean!! I love the bright colored background...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails