Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Lilac Whispers-Portraits-Finish

Double Portrait Work In Progress
Whispered secrets in the shade of a lilac garden. 
The Completion
Last Wednesday, (4-9-14) , I had completed session #3. I'll pick up from there.

Session #4


I continued with the oil straight from the tube, but applied thinly with a scrubbing motion to fade or blend. I was adding more lights trying to come close to the value I needed. There appears to be a blue cast to this shot. No doubt due to the lighting or the camera.....couldn't possibly be the fault of me, the cameraman!! :lol:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Session #5

I'm using stiff filbert brushes to apply the straight oil paint. Softer brushes for features, using slightly thinned paint. I keep building and adjusting value and color. At this point, I have tried to keep all edges soft until the last step.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ta-Daaaa- Done!
Here's when I decide where to place the emphasis (highest contrast-hardest edges). Like the sun on the faces and select strands of hair, etc. Some strokes are pretty thick in the lighter areas. This adds texture and interest to the surface.
There are many soft edges in the features in this piece, due to the shade.

There comes a point where I lay the brush down and say, "Done".
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Close Up

Close Up
Well there it is!

My sister in law picked it up and was happy with it. She cried...and not because of the price (I wanted to do it for free). The client's reaction is my greatest pay.
Hope you enjoyed my venture. Thanks for coming along.

John 7:12        While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.


7 comments:

  1. Bonjour cher ami,
    Je suis très heureuse de pouvoir admirer cette oeuvre achevée. J'aime comment vous nous expliquez son évolution.
    L'atmosphère de douceur qu'elle dégage est saisissant et exceptionnelle. Vous y avez mis tant d'amour. Une oeuvre magnifique.
    Il n'est pas facile non plus de dire "j'arrête" !
    Gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another stunning piece, Dean. I really do not know how you do such gorgeous pieces all of the time! I'd have cried too. It gives a little of our children from when they were little back to us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're beautifully finished, Dean. I love the colors, light and the their wonderful pose! The expression on her face makes me wonder what the blonde little girl is telling her...lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dean, you did a wonderful job on this piece. It is delicate and lovely - befitting two little girls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful touching piece Dean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good morning Dean!... Such a splendid "Easter egg" ! Crafted with an unbeatable blend of skill.... passion and love! There is no greater reason for painting than for these reasons. These elements are so very obviously present everywhere in this special portrait... times two!

    Rich blessings and a Happy Easter to you Dean!

    Good Painting!
    Warmest regards,
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  7. How special and touching this is, Dean. I know you made your sister in-law happy and you should be too. It's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails